Thursday, April 28, 2011

Lunch on the Bunion

As a follow up to Fr. Christian's post, I'd like to say that one aspect that I consider crucial to hiking is going with friends! At least, for the Humdinger Project, the more the merrier.


FC and I have been way behind on hikes, but I'm glad we picked Charlie's Bunion to restart the project. It is a fun trail that offers several spots where you can take a "beauty break" and soak up all the awesome. Since the hike to Charlie's Bunion is on the Appalachian Trail, I can finally be christened with a trail name.

Starting off in the Newfound Gap parking lot offers you a chance to people-watch, if you're into that. Newfound Gap is a popular GSMNP tourist/drive-by/stop and take the traditional picture spot. Some people are adventurous enough to walk along the trail for a bit, but most turn back before they even get a 1/2 mile in. Basically after the first mile traffic clears up. If you're a peepee princess like me, you'll love having bathrooms right at the trailhead.

On the way to the trailhead, we drove out of the cloud bank. There was something like a 60% chance of spotty showers the day we went hiking, so we all packed our rain gear. Luckily, we didn't have to don the rain gear and were able to see the sights along the trail.


Hiking to Charlie's Bunion and back is a total of 8.1 miles. For some reason, I didn't notice the elevation change as much on the way to the Bunion as I did on the way back, and if you look at the elevation profile on Hiking in the Smokys (they totally spelled it wrong), I'm sure you can see why. I'm a weenie, but I'm also way out of shape. I felt the burn, but it's always a good burn. So if you're a brave tourist looking for a great view, I would suggest this trail. If you don't regularly hike and/or walk or whatever, you may find it a bit difficult.

If I remember correctly, we did the entire hike in almost 4 hours. Of course, hiking with Fr. David Boettner and Fr. Christian means the pace is faster than most normal people, but I love them anyway. Hope Feist and I did eventually take the lead and slowed things down. But hey, we all made it back to Knoxville and Lenoir City in time for the beginning of the Holy Week liturgies.

We all ate our subs and chips while sitting on the Bunion, and I've got to tell you, it was awesome. Simply beautiful! I feel like hiking to Charlie's Bunion and eating lunch there should be on someone's bucket list. Eating lunch on the Bunion may very well have been my favorite part of the entire hike. I even made a new friend.




For me, this hike was a chance to hang out with people I love who I don't see very often. It was also a chance to be outside and enjoy a gorgeous day that was supposed to be rainy. The hike to Charlie's Bunion was also a nice reminder of how good it feels to just go outside and walk, I mean, really walk.

1 comment: